Dell is on a Strong Eco-Streak

dell logo

Dell has been very active in participating with green programs and making sure the community knows that it’s making an effort to do its part. Recently, Dell partnered with Sam’s Club in the program ‘Plant a Tree for Me’. Customers looking for an “environmentally-responsible” computing option at Sam’s club, are able to offset their carbon impact of electricity (note..not the development of the device) required to power the laptop or desktop by contributing $2 for a laptop and $6 for a desktop that will go towards planting of trees that will absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. Dell partnered with non-profit organizations, The Conservation Fund and the, to plant trees in sustainably managed reforestation projects.

sams logo

Dell launched “Plant a Tree for Me” for customers in January 2007 and recently joined The Conservation Fund, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and other commercial partners in dedicating 158 acres of forestland in East Texas, one of five tree-planting project funded through the program.


Dell has also launched a free computer recycling service with Goodwill to produce Reconnect, a free drop-off program to recycle unwanted computers. Reconnect offers consumers in Houston and 15 surrounding counties free recycling for any brand of computer equipment in any condition. Residents can find a drop off location at The goal of the program is to divert 1.5 million pounds of used computers and computer equipment from area landfills over the next year and provide education to consumers on the importance of disposing computers via environmentally safe options.


Reconnect now covers 57 Texas counties and approximately 1/3 of the state’s population. Other Reconnect programs also exist in Michigan (statewide); New Jersey (statewide), North Caroline (49 of 100 counties); the City of Philadelphia; the greater Pittsburgh region, Northwest Ohio, San Diego and San Francisco (Marin, San Francisco and San Mateo counties).

waste managementtxu

Dell has even announced that their 2.1 million square-foot global headquarters campus is 100 percent green. Home to over 10,000 employees, Dell has taken a leading role in their industry in creating a clean energy future. Dell is using all the power generated from the Waste Management’s Austin Community Landfill gas-to-energy plant, meeting 40 percent of Dell headquarters’ campus power needs and the remaining 60 percent comes from existing wind farms and is provided by TXU Energy.

They are also increasing green power use for its Austin Parmer Campus, provided by Austin Energy, from 8 to 17 percent. Dell also powers its Twin Falls, Idaho facility with 100 percent green power, 97 of which is wind power and 3 percent is solar.

Go Dell!

One Response to “Dell is on a Strong Eco-Streak”

  1. [...] Dell is on a Strong Eco-Streak [...]

Leave a Reply

You can use these XHTML tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>