Keep these green, safe tips in mind when creating your child’s nursery.
12. Buy used furniture: Buy furniture from Craigslist or garage sales to repurpose old items.
13. Reuse baby linens: Accept recycled baby linens from friends and family-used fabrics will have most harmful finishes laundered off.
14. Finish painting early: Give your paint plenty of time to dry and let off gas by finishing at least 8 weeks before bringing baby home.
15. Buy “normal” furniture: Get regular furniture that will grow with your baby’s needs.
16. Paint low-VOC: Look for low odor, low VOC to cut down on chemical exposure from paints.
17. Don’t get new carpet: Avoid the VOCs that come with new carpet by sticking with your old carpet or using a sustainable hardwood.
18. Avoid fire retardants: Stay away from nursing pillows, furniture, and electronics that have fire retardants.
19. Use green furniture: Find eco-friendly furniture: Look for furniture that’s made with sustainable parts.
20. Go organic for your mattress: Choose an organic crib mattress or a wool cover for your baby’s crib.
21. Use organic cotton bedding: Choose natural and organic fibers for your baby’s bedding.